Friday, August 23, 2013

The Real Faces of the Syrian Conflict

If you're a regular reader here, I'm sure you've heard me say it before. I'm not a big fan of rewriting or summarizing press releases to make a news story, even if the release is of a highly newsworthy event. I feel that it is incumbent upon the journalist to gather and add original content that enriches the story.

When I received an offer of support from the UN to publish around the milestone date that marks the passage of the one millionth child refugee crossing the border to escape from the Syrian conflict, I was eager to take on the task. I asked for access to a UN staffer who was local to the region and for the full story of at least one child or family who had been displaced by the conflict - one that would be exclusive to my article as opposed to those included in the media package made available to a broader selection of journalists and news agencies. The UNHCR was happy to provide those resources for which I asked. I also received an exclusive photograph of that child for use with the article.

The Real Faces of the Syrian Conflict: Today Marks 1 Millionth Child Refugee

The interview, due to the time differences and the short deadline that I had to get the story published in time for the milestone (August 23rd), meant that I had to stay up all night, conduct a telephone interview with a subject who was 7 hours removed from me in Amman, Jordan, and spend the morning writing and editing the piece.

I hope you find it as moving as I did.

UPDATE: The article has just been moved to the front page feature position on Yahoo.com (in the photo scroll at the top of the page).


 

No comments:

Post a Comment