Thursday, May 26, 2011

An eyewitness to Japan's big earthquake

One of the houses washed out to sea by the tsunami that followed the
March 11, 2011 earthquake off the coast of Japan
Public domain photo by Airman 1st Class Katrina R. Menchaca

Right after the big 8.9 magnitude earthquake that occurred in Japan on March 11, 2011, I was contacted by the news department at the Yahoo! Contributor Network. They told me that they had contact information for someone living in Japan at the time of the earthquake and that he might be amenable to an interview. I was immediately interested for the obvious reason, but also because my son has a keen interest in Japanese history and culture and plans to spend some time studying there while in college.

I can't imagine how worried and upset his mother and I would have been if he were there already when the earthquake struck. So I wanted to explore the ability to communicate back to the United States in the immediate aftermath, personal safety issues, official warning systems, and a number of issues that may directly impact my own son and any others studying abroad in Japan either currently or in the future.

Using the information provided by Y!CN, I contacted the subject through email and set-up the interview.

You can read the full interview at this link.

Ordinarily, I locate and arrange interview prospects on my own and pitch it to the Y!CN news department through my regular Q&A interview beat. In this case, however, it was my good relationship and reputation with the news department's editorial staff that dropped the contact in my lap. Communication, networking and a good track record result in opportunities that would be otherwise unavailable. Cultivate contacts and let people know what kinds of things would be of interest to you from a writing perspective.

No comments:

Post a Comment