Tuesday, June 21, 2011

ROR: Maximizing your return on research

As I've mentioned elsewhere, I have a number of "beats" or automatically recurring assignments at the Yahoo! Contributor Network. All the news beat articles that I submit end up published at Yahoo! News. One of the beats is an open topic Question and Answer format beat meant for original interviews. It is the one that pays the most upfront. It's a beat I proposed, and for which I negotiated the upfront rate.

Lately, I have been getting additional interview assignments outside of my regular beat for Y! News. These interview assignments tend to be more highly targeted. Sometimes they'll ask for an interview with someone who possesses a particular expertise and, at least once, they even asked for a specific individual by name.  Obviously, these rely on my ability to get in touch with the specific individual requested in order for me to complete the assignments.

These assignments tell me in the details that I am the only one receiving the assignment so if I don't want to claim it or can't get the sprecific individual to agree to an interview, to email them back and let them know so they can plan accordingly. The first one of these I received, I refused as the offered upfront was less than my standing offer for my Q&A beat. When I pointed this out, they increased the offer and I accepted.

Once I have my interview material, there are often several different angles the article can take or it might be one longer article covering several topics that were discussed. Generally, I shoot an email back to the Y!CN contact who requested the interview and propose several different angles. For example, recently I was asked to interview someone who had direct involvment with the space shuttle. I managed to get George Whitesides who was the Chief of Staff for Administrator Bolden at NASA until around the middle of 2010.

After a great discussion, I had what seemed like four possible main thrusts for an article. Since the original assignment said that Y!CN had reason to believe that they might get featured placement on the front page of Yahoo.com for the assigned interview, I wanted to run the angles by my contact to see if one was preferred given their front page plans. My four proposed angles were:

I though they might want option #2 and/or #4. My contact said he'd ask the Yahoo! front page people what they wanted, but he, personally thought they were all excellent.

So, without dragging out this story any longer, my Y!CN contact said that he didn't get a preference from Yahoo! so I should write up all four angles (without duplicating any of the actual interview material). That meant four separate upfront payments totalling $120 for this interview (plus the usual ongoing page view royalties).

This kind of multiple payout for these interviews has happened several times recently and it changes the financial equation and makes them much more worthwhile. While page view bonuses can exceed the upfront payment, sometimes by a wide margin, there is no guarantee of that, and sometimes they don't do well at all. I prefer to get a decent upfront so that if page views don't come in as expected, my time is still covered.

The Bottom Line

Whatever kinds of research you do, look for ways to use that research in multiple ways. Don't just respin it, nobody wants to read the same thing restated, but apply different aspects of what you learned to different angles. Getting multiple quality articles out of your research makes it economically feasible to spend more time doing higher quality research which, in turn, increases the quality of your articles and their usefulness to your readers.

No comments:

Post a Comment