Thursday, June 2, 2011

Typical interview preparation

When I was younger, I recall watching hurricane expert Dr. William Gray explain the dynamics of tropical cyclones on television, The Weather Channel, I think. Recently, Y!CN asked if I would interview him about this year's hurricane season forecast for publication on Yahoo! News. In this case, they named the individual they wanted interviewed, but did not have any contact information or ongoing communication with him. It would be left to me to establish that contact and get him to agree to the interview.

As usual, the first thing I did was start researching. I found that he typically issues four forecasts or updates each year. His next update was due in about ten days. If I did the interview right away, the information could become obsolete very quickly. I explained the situation to the folks at Y!CN who gave me the assignment. They agreed that it would be better to wait and get the updated info. I had just completed three Yahoo! News assignments about hurricanes, so I had gained some basic knowledge about The Formation and Behavior of Hurricanes, Hurricane Naming Conventions, and Hurricane Category Ratings. Perhaps that helped the Y!CN team select me for this interview.

Meanwhile, I contacted Dr. Gray and asked whether he would consent to an interview based on his planned June 1st hurricane forecast update. He said that he would be discuss it, just shoot him a message on the morning of June 1st. I also did some more research in the interim.

Dr. Gray, it seems is well known for his views that global warming is a largely natural event with little influence from human activities. He is quite vocal on the topic. He and his hurricane forescasting colleague Dr. Phil Klotzbach have also just adopted a new forecasting method (used in conjunction with other methods). I checked out hurricane season forecasts from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, since I had recently seen a Facebook post on the upcoming hurricane season by NOAA Administrator Jane Lubchenco. I also read through 44 pages of Dr. Gray's last hurricane forecast to familiarize myself with the terminology, format and content of his reports. I made a little cheat sheet with annual averages hurricane stats, NOAA's predictions, Dr. Gray's last forecast, and left room for his new forecast numbers. I also wrote out a draft of the interview questions I intended to ask, based on all that I had learned.

When his report was released on the morning of June first, this advance preparation let me skip to the important parts of the report and understand it so that I could engage in a good discussion with Dr. Gray. I updated my interview questions and called Dr. Gray at the phone number he had provided to me the prior week. I was able to conduct the interview within about an hour of the public release of his updated 2011 hurricane forecast, not coincidentally released ont he first day of the 2011 hurricane season.

In the end, the Y!CN News team thought the article, at over 2500 words was too long. They suggested chopping it into two articles and offered a second assignment for the sub-topic of long-range hurricane activity cycles with a separate generous upfront payment. Furthermore, a tangential topic covered in the interview will likely turn into a beat article on environmental issues, since it was omitted from the other two articles.

The main interview about the 2011 hurricane forecast is here.
The follow-up article about long-term hurricane activity cycles is here.

2 comments:


  1. Our professional Dentist in Latham NY team is dedicated to providing quality comprehensive services at an affordable cost. Our services include general dentistry, dentures, oral surgery, implants, and cosmetic dentistry along with preventative and routine dentistry.


    ReplyDelete

  2. At Union Street Dentist in Albany NY, we aim to provide complete dental care to the community of Schenectady and the surrounding areas.
    We work with most insurances, have convenient hours, and even offer promotions, senior discounts, and military discounts. If you need general dentistry services in Schenectady, call to schedule an appointment today for your next cleaning. We provide aesthetic dental services such as teeth whitening.
    You can also rely on our emergency dental services for dental implants, root canals, dental crowns, and more. If you’re in need of family dentistry, look no further than Union Street Dentistry in Schenectady, NY.
    We also provide emergency dental services to Albany and surrounding areas, and walk-ins are welcome!

    ReplyDelete